Royal School of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering

The Royal School of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering and originally called the School of Naval Architecture was formed in 1811 was an training institution of the Royal Navy that trained naval architects until 1967 when it became part of the University of London.

1) History

The first School of Naval Architecture opened in 1811 in Portsmouth and closed in 1832. The Royal School of Naval Architecture or Royal School of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering was an institution founded in South Kensington in 1864 to train naval architects. It was founded by Joseph Woolley, who had been Principal of the short-lived School of Mathematics and Naval Construction in Portsmouth (1848–1853). In 1873 the School moved to the Royal Naval College Greenwich, then in 1967 to University College London. Many of its graduates entered the Royal Corps of Naval Constructors.

The title FRSNA is an abbreviation for Fellow of the Royal School of Naval Architecture.

2) Head of School

2.1) Principal Royal School of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering

  1. Joseph Wooley, (1864-1873)
  2. Charles Watkins Merrifield, (1873-1881)

2.1.1) Vice Principal

  1. Charles Watkins Merrifield, (1867-1873)

2) Sources

  1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_School_of_Naval_Architecture
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License