Lisbon Station
Lisbon Station
1024px-Civil_Ensign_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
Active 1779-1841
Country United Kingdom
Branch Royal Navy
Type Naval Station
Part of Department of Admiralty
HQ Lisbon, Portugal
Preceded by None
Succeeded by None

The Lisbon Station also known as Lisbon Station and Coast of Spain was a naval station and formation of the British Royal Navy operating of the coast of Portugal from 1779-1782 before being disbanded and then again from 1783 until 1841.

1) History

Initially established as a mobile squadron of the Royal Navy operating mainly off the coast of Portugal but also Spain during the late 18th century and 19th century, the station was involved in a number of engagements during the Anglo-Spanish War including the Action of 11 November 1779. It was particularity known for its involvement in Battle of Porto Praya, in April 1781 as part of the Anglo-French Wars (1778–1783). Later that same year, the squadron was ordered to capture the Dutch Colony of the Cape of Good Hope, eventually known as the Battle of Saldanha Bay, however, it failed to re-take the cape. Because of this, the squadron was disbanded in 1782 when Commodore Johnstone sought election as an MP. The Station was re-established in 1795 under the command of Vice-Admiral Sir George Vandeput to undertake convoy duties between England the Mediterranean and Lisbon. In 1808, Admiral Vandeput was succeeded by Vice-Admiral Sir Charles Cotton who was charged with preparation of Lisbon harbor for the planned invasion the Iberian Peninsula later in the year. The fleet was also involved with the evacuation of Sir John Moore's army stuck in Galacia following the Battle of Corunna. In 1810, Admiral Cotton was relieved of command by Admiral Sir George Cranfield Berkeley when it was next involved in improving coastal defences until 1812, when Admiral Berkeley retired his command. He was then replaced by Vice-Admiral Sir George Martin who commanded the station until 1814. He was followed by Rear-Admiral Sir George H. Parker from 1815 until 1834. In early 1837, the station was under the temporary command of Rear-Admiral John Ommanney, until he was relieved as commander in chief by Vice-Admiral Sir William Hall Gage. Gage was ordered, by the Admiralty, to undertake protection duties of Queen Maria II during the period known as the Liberal Wars, fought between progressive constitutionalists and authoritarian absolutists in Portugal over royal succession. The station ceased to be a command in 1841.

2) In command

2,1) Commander-in-Chief on the Lisbon Station

  1. Commodore Distinction: George Johnstone, (1779-1782)
  2. Vice-Admiral of the White: Sir George Vandeput, (1795–1806)
  3. Vice-Admiral of the Red: Sir Charles Cotton, (1808–1809)

Station not active 1783-1794

2.2) Commander-in-Chief, Portugal

Note: station is elevated to a higher command.

  1. Admiral of the Blue: Sir George Cranfield Berkley, (1810-1812)

2.3) Commander-in-Chief on the Lisbon Station

  1. Vice-Admiral of the White: Sir George Martin, (1812–1814)
  2. Rear-Admiral Sir William Parker, (1831–1834)
  3. Rear-Admiral John Ommanney, (1835-1837)
  4. Vice-Admiral of the Red: Sir William Hall Gage, (1837–1841)

3) Sources

  1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisbon_Station
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License